- T.C. Williams School of Law, J.D.
- University of Virginia, B.A., with Distinction, (Psychology)
- Virginia Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
John T. Midgett is a Shareholder in the Law Firm of Midgett Preti Olansen. His practice is concentrated in the related areas of estate planning, administration and taxation, estate and trust litigation, and family business planning.
Mr. Midgett is a graduate of the University of Virginia, where he attained a Bachelor of Arts degree, with Distinction. He is a graduate of the T. C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond, where he was a member of the Law Review.
Mr. Midgett is a dynamic speaker on topics relating to estate planning, taxation, probate, elder law, and family businesses. He has written and lectured to attorneys, accountants, and trust officers in the related areas of estate planning, taxation and administration for the continuing education required in the various professions.
In addition to his practice and speaking schedule, Mr. Midgett is actively involved in the Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council, having served as President (2010-2011). He served for 25 years as a member of the Duke University Estate Planning Council. He served as Chair of the Trusts & Estates Section of the Virginia State Bar in 2008-2009, and was Chair of the Virginia Bar Association Wills, Trusts & Estates Section (2017-2018). John currently serves on its Legislative Committee. Mr. Midgett is also Treasurer for the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils. He is a Past President of the Hampton Roads Gift Planning Council, the Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council, the Tidewater Chapter of the International Association of Financial Planners (now known as the Financial Planning Association) and the Hampton Roads Chapter of the Society of FSP™ Financial Service Professionals.
In May, 2006 he was elected by the Board of Directors of the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils as an Accredited Estate Planner®. Mr. Midgett has been rated as “AV” in the areas of estate planning and administration, the highest designation available to attorneys in the Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory. He has been named to Virginia Business Magazine’s Legal Elite, is a “Super Lawyer” and has been included in the 2006-2020 editions of The Best Lawyers in America®, where he is designated as “Lawyer of the Year”® Litigation-Trusts and Estates-Norfolk, Va. in 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Planning Counsel.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Planning Counsel
- AV® Preeminent ™ Peer Review Rating by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- Accredited Estate Planner®, National Association of Estate Planners & Councils, 2006
- Virginia Business Magazine’s Legal Elite, 2001-Present
- Virginia “Super Lawyer”, 2005-Present
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2006-Present
- “Lawyer of the Year”® - Litigation-Trust and Estate-Norfolk, VA. in 2013, 2015 and 2017
- “Top Lawyers”, 2016-2018, Coastal Virginia Magazine
- Barron F. Black Community Builder Award, Hampton Roads Community Foundation, 2019
- Co-Author, Estate and Trust Administration in Virginia, Virginia CLE Publications
- Co-Author, “Valuing Claims: Is There a Methodology?”, Probate & Property, Sept.-Oct. 2011
- Author: Professional Collaboration: Embrace Teamwork to Get the Best Results, Trusts & Estates Magazine, April, 2014
- Author, “’Til Death Do We Part(ner): Virginia’s New Elective Share Laws” VBA Journal, Winter 2016- 2017
- American Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar (Chair, Trusts and Estates Section, 2009-2010)
- Virginia Bar Association (Chair, Wills Trusts and Estates Section 2017-2018)
- Norfolk-Portsmouth Bar Association
- Virginia Beach Bar Association
- National Association of Estate Planners and Councils (Board Member 2017-2019; Secretary 2020; Treasurer 2021)
- Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council
- Professional Advisory Committee, Hampton Roads Community Foundation
- Batten Legacy Society Advisory Council, Access College Foundation (2017-2019)